Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

How to Menu Plan... And a Free Printable

Have you always wanted to menu plan, but didn't know where to start?  I have always had a menu plan, but now that I have so much fresh produce on hand, I find it is crucial for me to plan out my meals, or it all ends up going to waste.  Here is a quick breakdown of how I menu plan.  I hope it helps.

First, there are some things I buy in bulk and always have on hand.  Once a year, we get together with friends to buy and split half of a grass fed cow.  So, we always have beef in the freezer.  I also have staples like brown rice, quinoa, dried beans, spices, etc, so I don't often have to go buy those.

Next, once a week I get a big box of produce.  It is full of lots of fresh, seasonal fruits and vegetable that I want to work into my menu plan this week, so I don't waste any of it.

Once I look through it and a see what's there, I sit down with my menu plan worksheet to map it all out.  I start by writing down anything on my calendar that would affect how I plan my meals (because I am so forgetful, and need the help remembering things like dinner with friends, birthdays, etc.)

Next, I actually list all of the produce I got that week, as well as anything else I need to use up.  If I don't list it, I tend to loose a cucumber in the back of the fridge, or some sweet potatoes in the bottom of the produce drawer, and not remember them until they are no longer recognizable.

Once I have everything listed out, I start to fill in my menu plan, crossing things off as I use them up.  If I have a lot of bananas, I might plan banana smoothies for breakfasts, and bananas for snacks on a few days.  Between meals, smoothies, and snacks, I try to account for all my produce each week (except for things that keep well, like potatoes and onions.)  I usually plan one day for leftovers, to eat up anything we had extra of throughout the week.  I keep my grocery list with me, and when I put something on my menu plan, I make sure I have it on hand, if not, I add it to my grocery list.

Menu planning this way (based on what I have, rather than the other way around) saves me a lot of money each week.  If you plan out seven yummy sounding dinners, then have to go buy every ingredient for those, you will have a very expensive shopping trip.  However, if you are planning around what you have, and only shopping to fill in the gaps, you grocery bill will go down,and you will waste less food.

Here is a sample of what my menu plan for a typical week might look like:


And that's all there is to it!  You can download my menu plan template here, and start your menu planning tonight!  Good luck!

Do you have any tried and true menu planning methods that have worked for you?  I would love to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Get widget